- estimate the total number of books you’ve owned in your life: not including any of the little golden books, the nancy drew books or the sweet pickles books i had as a kid, i'd say about five hundred thirty-six. give or take.
- what’s the last book you bought?: um, an english-spanish-english dictionary. does that make me a geek? at least i didn't say damron guide! i went to buy seventeen seventy-six [david mccullogh] but it was sold out. i love historical biographies, cookbooks, architectural books, and travel guides. in that order.
- what’s the last book you read?: cover-to-cover would have to be angels and demons [dan brown]. i am currently in the middle of reading a history of the arab peoples [albert hourani]. it's gonna take some time, trust me - lots of issues. before that it was the southwest airlines drink coupons booklet.
- list five books that mean a lot to you:
- sinuhe the egyptian [mika waltari]: except the finnish version. it's probably the first historical sort of book i ever read and i re-read it every few years;
- the fountainhead [ayn rand] apart from the architectural connection, it's the fact that roark is a non-conformist. and the sex scenes are so descriptive they give me a hard-on;
- the day god died [jim mills, ph.d] my therapist wrote this one and it made me feel before i even got past the dedication page. he told me last week that he is re-editing this book and makes a reference to his mother being a terrorist, a phrase he took from me referring to my father as being a terrorist when i was a kid;
- me talk pretty one day [david sedaris] because it still makes me laugh until my face goes numb;
- any dictionary. i love dictionaries, both english and non-english. i love learning new words and their origins. the rarest book in the finnish language, in case you were wondering, is a dictionary.
- tag five people: you mean five people that haven't been tagged before? i'm not sure that many people read my blog. but i'll try...remember i was the kid that always got picked last as a kid for any team sport; zeitzeuge mister hk kayo kid glennalicious buff's tufftalk
in the background::if you could read my mind:amber
4 comments:
Yay!!!
Thats my boy, o.p.b.
Aren't therapy books great?
I love dictionaries too, but not as much as atlases and roadmaps. Those give me hard-ons.
Tag accepted... Might have to wait til Summer vacation, tho!
I'm with Hells Kitchen. Don't even MENTION books until June 28. I might even become literate again, once the kids are gone.
Hmmm..OK. I'm still on vacation in the motherland, so when I return I'll take up the gauntlet. I don't know if I can come up with five people to tag, though. I think I have a readership of four.
Post a Comment